2022 James G. Strickland Memorial NYSDEC Environmental
Education Summer Camp Application Requirements
CAMPS: Colby, DeBruce, Rushford & Pack Forest
Applications must be received by Friday February 18, 2022
I. About the Scholarship:
The Air & Waste Management Association - Niagara Frontier Section (AWMA-NFS) will be sponsoring and selecting qualified candidates who sincerely want to spend a week at a NYSDEC Environmental Education Summer Camp learning about the environment. AWMA-NFS will provide the $350 cost of the camp. Parents are required to provide travel to and from the camp of their choice.
II. Applicants must:
· Meet the eligibility requirements - campers from age 11 - 17, refer to the NYSDEC website for details at
· Be willing to participate in strenuous activities such as backpacking and canoeing
· Be sincerely interested in an outdoor learning experience.
III. Candidate Selection:
· Candidates will be selected based on their interest to attend camp, as expressed through the required essay.
· There will be no limit on how many times a camper may be awarded a scholarship. However, first-time campers are given priority.
· Write a 1 page (or less) essay about why you want to attend the NYSDEC Environmental Education Summer Camp. Please print, type, or e-mail your essay. Indicate if you are affiliated with a member of AWMA-NFS and include your name, address, email address/phone number of parent/guardian along with age at time of camp on the essay.
· The NYSDEC has changed their application process, with most of it now being completed online. After AWMA-NFS picks successful candidates, we will inform the NYSDEC who they are and we will pay for them. It is then up to the parents to register the campers online for the week they want. Camper registration begins Sunday, March 6, 2022 at 10 AM (this is a tentative date).
VI. Send Application:
· Mail or e-mail contact information and completed essay by Friday, February 18, 2020 to:
Director – Education, AWMA Niagara Frontier Section
37 Irving Terrace
Tonawanda, NY 14223
Questions can be directed to Peter by email.
Complete applications must be received by Friday, February 18, 2022